Saturday, May 2, 2009

Unpacking and Dogs

The unpacking continues. I got all my knitting supplies organized and put away yesterday. We have a loft area in the upstairs that has a little sink, refrigerator and lots of cabinet space. We have nothing to put there so I decided that's where all the yarn and other knitting supplies would go.

I have a beautiful antique looking sewing table that I got for free when I moved into my first apartment here in La Pasa. It's perfect for the vintage sewing machine that my grandparents, bought me for my Master's graduation. I think it makes the hallway look like a museum!

If someone knows how to change where the photos show up in the blog let me know. I would love for the knitting cabinet picture to show up under that paragraph and the sewing table picture to show up under that paragraph. But alas.

We have most of the books put on bookshelves and the furniture where we want it, we have an almost organized kitchen. We still have to completely organize all the clothes and put things on the wall. The washer and dryer get here sometime on Sunday morning.

I was able to get into the clases de Espanol that I wanted at the Uni! So excited about that. Ben keeps teasing me by saying that now I'm going to a real college! Ha! I can't wait to buy the books! Class will todos los dias de la verano, but that's alright because the more I hear it the quicker I'll be at picking it up. Mostly, I'm really looking forward to being on the other side of the teacher's desk.

School was tough on Thursday. Not only was it the last day for the week (we have a four day schedule) but I had six boys all day! Why? you may ask? Because two girls were absent and the rest plus Fonzo went on a dance field trip. Oh. It. Was. So. Difficult. The boys are so disrespectful and frustrating.

I have come to the conclusion though that sixth graders are a lot like first graders. They don't walk in lines very well, they aren't sure where their bodies are and they smell weird. I also think that most of the time, it's not that these kids don't want to be respectful, I think its more that no one has ever truly expected it of them. Crazy.

Yesterday, while we were shopping The Boy and I visited an adopt-a-thon for the Humane Society. It makes me cry. I want a dog so badly. We are planning on getting one this summer, but it just can't happen soon enough. It's so hard to look at them in the cages. I stopped going into those pet stores in the mall years ago because I would just come out crying. It wasn't so bad when we had Jax and Allie and Jo and Leo and then just Leo because I knew I was doing my part in giving a dog a good, safe and happy home. After Leo passed away, it was really hard on me to know he wasn't at home (makes me cry now) but I was able to make friends with the dog that lived next door at our old apartment. Maggie was so sweet. I would pet her and give her treats. When we drove away from the apartment with the last load of stuff, I just burst into tears because I knew I probably wouldn't be seeing her for awhile and I wondered if she would miss me.

I was set on getting a puppy, mostly because that would mean that The Boy and I would be in charge of all the training and wouldn't have to worry about bad habits that are already instilled. But after seeing all of the adult dogs that don't have homes it makes me not care. We aren't set on a certain breed at all but don't want a tiny dog and we don't want a huge dog. Something Leo size would be perfect. There were so many pitbull mixes there and so many in this area on the internet, that I think we will get one of those. Seriously, as I'm sitting here in tears, it can't happen soon enough.



1 comment:

  1. I want a dog, too! We have to wait until we're at a more stable place in life, though. Hard to move around with a dog. They ALWAYS let you have your baby in apartments, though. So that's lucky. As for the picture thing, I'm not a Blogspot expert, but if you just cut and past it to where you want it to be, that usually works for me!

    ReplyDelete