Wednesday, April 29, 2009

New Student #2

The day the state standardized testing was to start at the beginning of April, I received another new student named Josh. I met his very tall, handsome, well spoken father in the office that morning before retrieving the students from the cafeteria. He was quiet shy and very quiet. His stepmother explained that I had to be very careful when giving directions and sit him near the front of the class because he has had problems with hearing his whole life. You can definitely tell from his speech.

Anyway, I have given him a few weeks to adjust and gave his last school time to get us his records. In first grade he was referred for speech help, but it was never followed up on. I've also noticed that he never goes to the bathroom during school hours. I don't know if he's going when I'm not looking or just not going at all, but today he admitted to me that he was afraid of the bathrooms. He's also been throwing things and is constantly interrupting me when I'm trying to give directions, therefore disrupting what little time I actually get to spend teaching. I decided it was time to speak to his father about all of this interesting behavior I was observing.

So I did, today. It went alright I think. He seemed very receptive, eager to help in anyway he could, agreed that I should try to follow up on the speech therapy and wanted me to know that whatever I had to do to keep him on task, I should feel free to do. That statement always makes me cringe a bit because in my experience, parents don't really mean it. Then he said that I could give him some time to talk to his son and in that time I tried to find out what I could about the speech therapy, we could could then meet together and discuss everything.

Meanwhile, the students are freaking out about the swine flu "epidemic." We passed out some literature to the students this afternoon to take home to their parents from the state health agency. This did nothing to assuage their fears. (Ms. Knitter, the letter is really from the state?! Our state, like the state of New Mexico? It must be serious if the state is sending something home!?") I'm sure that if even one case is found anywhere near the La Pasa, school will be cancelled for the rest of the year. Which would be nice, except that I don't really want anyone to get sick and I really worry about what these kids do when left to their own devices with their parents off at work.

On another note, our house is coming together. I shall put up some pictures when more is unpacked and put up and so forth. Finding my computer cord may also be a help.

Have discovered a series of books that I love! Not as much as Harry Potter, but keeps me engaged as much as Harry Potter ever did. It's the Shadow Children Series by Margaret Peterson Haddix. Without giving too much away; in the future because of a perceived shortage of food, the government has restricted families to two children. When families have more than one, these children must hide. I'm only at the very beginning of the third book (started this afternoon) but I'm pretty sure the books are going to chronicle how these children gain their freedom and no longer have to hide.

Also have been enjoying bathes. Am off for another right now. With the third book in the Shadow Children Series in tow.

No comments:

Post a Comment