Sunday, May 10, 2009

Almost Done!

There are only ten more days of school left! Huzzah! I say. Our last day is the 28th of May, but I have one day that I have already put in to take off to see the Indigo Girls play in May. Ten days...ten days isn't bad.

The end always comes around so fast. I have given the required reading and math tests to ten of my twelve students, two were absent on Thursday. It doesn't really feel like the end until after these are finished.

We have also heard that we will probably be moving back up to the westside of the city for next year. This is good and bad. Good because our enrollment will almost certainly go up and because we will have more space there. Bad because it means another round of packing everything up and spending two to three weeks of class time next year unpacking it all and because I'll be spending a lot more in gas next year.

Last Wednesday was interesting. One of the harder boys to deal with, Allen had a hard day. During Literacy he didn't realize I was behind him listening when he said to Cosmo, "I can't wait until I get home so that I can kill myself." I was shocked, but able to explain to him that because I'm something called a "mandated reporter" I had to report what he had said to Sr. Callejo.

Before recess, Sr. Callejo called him into the office. Later he called me up as well. Allen's mother and step-father had come in after they have received a phone call from Sr. We had a talk with them about how seriously debilitating his attitude has become and that what he had said earlier was the kind of thing that we take very seriously. They agreed and said that he had been saying things like that at home as well. They said they were going to take him to a hospital to have him checked out. Off they went. We never heard anything. I'm looking forward to him being in school tomorrow morning.

Thursday was Fiesta Fandango, our annual party in honor of Cinco De Mayo. There were lots of great dances and some awesome circus acts. My two sixth grade girls, Fiona and Callie did a fantastic dance that they choreographed themselves. Absolutely amazing. These girls can move their bodies in ways that I could never make mine move. Takes my breath away.

Also...I'm trying really hard to keep from tearing at and picking my nails and cuticles. I've been doing well for about three weeks. Yay! My mother would be so proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment