Monday, August 10, 2009

First Day of School + New Car

First Day of School was great! I only had eight fourth graders, so my morning was awesome! I'm sure that number will go up as the public school gets going, we started a little early so our families may not know that first day was today.

My third graders are a different story. There's 16 of them (though at times it feels like 40) and only 2 girls in the group. These are the kids I had in Kindergarten and they were a tough crew even then. The whole coming full circle theme came to mind but when I asked one of them, Saul if he remembered having me as a Kinder teacher, his comeback was, "I've had you as a teacher before?!" So perhaps not so full circle at all.

It was really really good to see my sixth grade girls. I feel like I have a real bond with them, especially Fiona, Cassie and Lucia. All three were upset when they found out that I wasn't going to the be their teacher, since it was assumed that I would be at the end of last year. Hopefully, though I shall still see them everyday and be at least a part of their lives.

On top of first day of school, today was also First Day of Car Shopping in Earnest now that The Boy is home. I was also offered another job opportunity with Moonlight Consulting, one that pays big buck but is also so far away that it's an overnight. It's in the middle of September and I would much rather have a new car rather than depend on the not so dependable Harrison. We went back to the Subaru Dealership and The Boy got to test drive the same car that I drove and he liked it just as much as me, but still wants to drive other things. So poop. A few more days of driving around in the Hot Harrison (as there is no AC) and getting in and out of other HOT cars that have been sitting around in the sun all day.

3 comments:

  1. I just got a new car, too! Ugh, though. Car shopping. Fun and stressful.

    It is great to read about your classroom and teaching stuff. I'm glad you have a blog. It feels like such a long time ago we were in Teaching & Learning our freshman year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. V! It really has been a long time...crazy. It started to hit me at the end of last year, how much I missed the company of people who actually talk about what they do in the classroom! I had forgotten how important that was.

    What car did you end up getting?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a Rav4 with four-wheel drive, since I moved to the mountains.

    I miss Benn people so much. I still teach, but most of the people I work with are scholars, not trained as teachers--not really. My bosses respect my training and abilities, but my colleagues don't get the point of studying to be a teacher. So frustrating!

    Sounds like you have a great, if challenging, class this year!

    ReplyDelete